Book Review - Zoo by James Patterson (with Michael Ledwidge)



I have a number of James Patterson books in my collection and this was the latest one I have read. I read this one as I am currently taking part in a ‘read the alphabet of books’ challenge and needed one which started with ‘Z’. (I now need to find one starting with ‘X’ – does a book called Xylophone murders exist?).

Patterson does work with a number of different authors for some of his books and this one was written with Michael Ledwidge.

 

Basic Plot:

Something is wrong, something is very wrong. Animals, including the most loyal sweet and gentle dog are beginning to unite against the common enemy – humans….

Jackson Oz has spotted this and has been researching it for some years but scientists and most of the country think that he not only has a screw loose but a whole Meccano set has fallen apart in there…

Can the human race be saved or is it already too late….?

 

What I thought of it:

In general this was a well written novel and Patterson is still, in my opinion, towards the top of the tree in this genre of novels. The main plot with some sub plots woven in does work well but one or two of the sub plots do seem as if they have been added to get the page numbers up as they appear to have little link to the rest of the story and they contain characters which are only mentioned in these bits. Whilst Patterson’s books are fairly easy to read this does not detract away from his skill as a thriller writer.

The main characters are well developed and even the more minor ones are better developed than they usually are by lesser authors.  The setting takes place in a variety of different places and the use of the African safari works well as it helps to underline the main plot and show just how big the problem is. The settings are well described and as the novel goes on shows just how life is having to change to cope with the danger developing.

The suspense in the novel is built then allowed to taper off before building it again. There is, at times, a real sense of danger for the main characters as well as the well described frustration that those in power do not like to be told they are wrong. There is also a bit which make me think of a line in an episode of ‘Yes Prime Minister’ where someone high up in the army describes the air force as ‘only interested in flying around and dropping things on people’. Now I do have a degree in chemistry and using that as the basis of my scientific knowledge I think that the plot actually coming true is less likely than the Vatican electing a female Pope but that does not detract from the novel in any way, it is after all a work of fiction. However, that being said, The way human nature is depicted in the novel and how we react to things in some way holds up a mirror to the current covid-19 situation as in some way so does this novel in general.

The ending is perhaps not as good as I was hoping for particularly as the build up to it was so good. I do feel it was done to allow for the possibility of a sequel, which was written as a short story.

The chapters are rather short and the novel is split into four ‘books’ as well as a prologue and epilogue. The short chapters do allow the reader to put the book down for the night – if you can that is. I read this in a few evenings but I was not able to read some every night. Had I been on a long train journey I could have read it in one go.

There is, however, one continuity error. The character of Dr. Groh is described as having received a number of injuries a few years ago and is a wheelchair user in the first half of the novel. You then get to a section described as ‘five years later’ and you are told his injuries happened three years ago – so in the intervening time period.  Now I will put this down to the joint authorship being to blame for this but if I spotted it I’m sure other readers have as well.

 

Conclusion:

A well written novel with a solid plotline with tension and suspense well used throughout.


Comments