Book Review - Out of Bounds by Val McDermid






I have read a number of Val McDermid’s books in the past but this was the first with Chief Inspector Karen Pirie I have read. I should say here that this is the fourth book in the series and I would have rooted out the first 3 but I am taking part in a ‘read the alphabet’ challenge and this fitted a book which started with ‘O’ so I read it.

Brief plot:

Karen works in the unsolved crimes division of police Scotland and new evidence has turned up for an unsolved crime but it is not going to be that straight forward….

Also another recent crime as triggered a memory in Karen about a crime 22 years ago no-one was ever brought to justice for but to resolve this one she will need to tread on toes and it will really upset her boss….

What I thought of it:

In some respects I do regret not reading the first 3 novels as I feel I have missed the back story of the main character but this is covered in some respects in this novel.

The unsolved crimes unit well if you think of the BBC series ‘new tricks’ you would not be far off the work they do. However, one thing readers need to understand is that there are some differences between the law in Scotland and the law in England and Wales. As this novel mainly takes part in Scotland it is Scots law that is applied in most areas (except for the bits which take place south of the boarder).

As with most Val McDermid novels she has been able to combine plots and subplots with a mastery which I feel is second to no other living crime writer I have read. Her ability to at time build the tension then throw you off the scent works exceptionally well. The layers of complexity of the story are built up layer by layer as well as what appears to be insignificant subplots to combine well to the conclusion of the novel. The novel is well written and there are enough red herrings and twists in  the plot to keep you engaged and guessing as to who has done it. There is also the occasional use of regional dialect words which adds to the setting of the novel.

The setting is mainly in Edinburgh where I visited for the first time last year and this gave me more of an appreciation of the descriptions McDermid has used as well as the geography of the parts of the city I saw. The fact that McDermid uses the nice and the not so nice parts of the city works well. As does the resentment of some characters have to the change from the 8 regional constabularies to just one force of Police Scotland.

The main character of Karen Pirie is shown as highly capable, not someone to back down easily but with an underlying vulnerability which does make the reader warm to her (for me her fondness for gin was almost enough). She has one colleague in the unsolved crimes unit who compares well to Captain Hastings (the Poirot novels). Not that bright but will, at times, have a revelation or just say an off the cuff remark that makes things fall into place. Karen has, as all detectives have, a network of experts she can call on to help her clear up certain things which helps to add some reality to the novel. Whilst her boss clearly does not like her and would like to demote her he cannot argue with the fact that she gets results.

One thing which did grate on me slightly was that McDermid made a mistake in her description of what is used to make the mixture known as Thermite. Now this could have been simply to prevent anyone using what was written in the book to recreate the mix but as a chemistry teacher of 20 years experience it did stick out like a sore thumb to me.

Conclusion:

A well written novel with twists and turns and all the plots and sub plots meld together well in the end. Whilst, due to my ability to remember 'who did it', it is unlikely I will read it again I will be on the look out for the other book in this series.


Comments